BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Choosing to deny all choices I ever made


Who decides what’s black and what’s white? Who decides black is dark and white isn’t? Who decides what Is immoral and what’s not? If I stole some money from a rich man’s wallet, id be penalized but if I used it to buy some bread for a hungry nursing mother on the road – well, id still be penalized. It’s not because they still think I did wrong, it’ll be because they don’t know WHO did wrong. Who to blame and who is the reason that nursing mother will sleep hungry for nights. The problem is, some of us with voices loud enough to penetrate a mass shouted some rules a decade ago, that all of us nodded our heads to and now nobody knows why should we be following them.



Why should we follow rules? Who lays them? Who decides the fate of an individual that I believe is predestined. Could you choose to be born in a home without a thatch? Could you choose to hit or not hit a policeman who robbed you and raped your sister? Can we choose to not rely on to the ‘supernatural’ when someone beloved lies heavily breathing in that I.C.U? Do we really have choices? Yet would it mean, the roofless man is a low class bugger staying in a dingy apartment; the man who hit the cop in self defense is a criminal and that because a man lies in the ICU – his mother necessarily believes in the power of God? No. It simply means – life did not give them enough choices to do what THEY wanted, without being labeled.



How many times did you close your bedroom door and shout out loud – ITS MY LIFE. Why can’t I possibly do what I want? – Religion, caste, colour, morality, creed, family, age ... No bar. Simply because they are MY decisions and I am perhaps bound to do them this way or that. The point is, why do we go on living “governed” by these rules and regulations made by man? Why don’t we live free? Why should a man pass a beggar on the street and pay him and move on – will it be really weird a sight if he, instead got out in the rain and hugged that little girl in his arms and wiped rain off her face? It would be. Simply because he was not ‘supposed’ to do that. Who’s defining these lines of ‘fake suppositions’ while we’re sleeping? - Because it almost seems like we’ve woken up to some predefined ROLE that we’re to fit in. A cobbler will gamble, a girl will scar, a mother will fret, a lover will stroll – things that cannot be silenced and policed.
Choices – what choice do I have in a room that has a stylized sofa, a plasma TV, a heavy wallet and ready-to-eat pasta cheese? What choice have I left for myself in a house that screams ‘LIVE THIS WAY’. Would I never be happy (possibly happier) in a small little hut with 2 bananas a meal and hay to sleep on? Would I never see myself in the mirror again if I noticed my nose was broken? I would. But would I be happy? Maybe not – because iv gotten so used to perfect pictures of perfect Cindy Crawford’s and the perfect aaahs of people around me, that quite understandably I d look rather ugly in a world that calls a woman ‘beautiful’ standing 3o meters away from her. Choices? Hell, no.



Let ME ask those who made these rules a question this time. “Are you today who you Really wanted to be?” - And you know, I believe in giving them choices. So, a) Yes b) No and c) I don’t know/remember exactly who I wanted to be (I think somewhere in between being myself and being who I m ‘supposed’ to be, I’ve lost myself) – and no I, unlike LIFE will not penalize you for going for the last option. Because they are choices for REAL. Those who said YES are so complacent already, they’ve probably stopped wanting , dreaming to be something more. Those who said NO are poor victims of these societal norms and lay surrendered. Those who opt for the last option are like me, still struggling – wondering to themselves “Why isn’t the mask given to me, fitting my face?” ...standing clueless amidst a sea of masked faces.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Crimson Feet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rejil Krishnan said...

Strong thoughts voiced pinky, but if we tend to think of the ‘others’ all the way, whn will we live the world we have been gifted with?? I honestly liked the questions asked…most of these have no answers… fr me, I jus tend t ignore these days… selfishly to enjoy the life I have now…. Later whn I hv enough of whtevr (thou desires r infinite) , wl do something fr them… not for all, but a defined mass would itself be self contending… I feel so…